Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

The Fool and the Demon [P:LV]

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 07/29/2017 1:32 AM

The current state of existence was nothing. Blackness. The lack of light. This was to be for all eternity. Until, however, brightness filled the dark void. The creation of the universe? No. Just a discombobulated man waking up from a short stint of unconsciousness. Rays of sunlight bled through a squinting pair of eyes, blinding and intense. The individual had to do a little crunch to regain a vertical posture. The colors seemed to swirl around in his vision. Sat up too fast.

With a few grunts the man was able to finally stand up on his two feet. He stumbled around a bit before regaining balance. He stood and studied his surroundings for a good minute. He had two feet. On those feet were pants and two boots. On his torso was a leather jacket. It was daytime, seemingly before noon. Surrounding him was a repeating landscape of pink flowering trees of different shades, along with a few other ferns and trees. Oriental looking. A stream of a red liquid trailing him. The source was a gash running from his stomach to his chest.

The man’s cinnamon skin was visible through a tear in the fabric. It appears that the source of this injury was some kind of scrape against a surrounding rock. The trails of blood hadn’t been from any kind of walking beforehand. The man had been moving before his collapse. Walking hurt, now that he noticed it. There was a ache in his knees, and a sharp pain coming from one leg. Probably a fractured or broken limb.

No use in focusing on the matter. He needed to recuperate. First, the basics. His name was Clay. Clay Valverde. That was true. He was an engineer. Testing contraband technology, to be specific. His time watch. Clay raised his arm to observe the piece of technology. On the face of the accessory was a bar only half filled, with a percentage signifying some kind of reboot. It read 46% percent. Something had gone wrong. It was always like this, it seemed.

Clay was walking in search of some water. His flask was empty or filled with alcohol. Getting drunk now wouldn’t help anything. The temptation was brushed off to the side, parallel to Pandora’s Box. A creek would suffice. Something to wash off in, get the grime off. Something to drink. The engineer was parched.

His search revealed nothing for a time. The progress of the watch was advancing at a snail’s pace. 48%. What a pathetic way to die. Out in the forest of some unknown year and location. Would he die here? Not if Clay could help it. It appeared that lady luck was in Clay’s favor in the end. In front of him was a structure that appeared to be some kind of shrine. There was a characterizing red arch, undoubtedly Japanese. Torii, they were called. Perhaps there would be some goodies to loot here while waiting for his damned watch.
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 230
Donate

Re: The Fool and the Demon [P:LV]

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/05/2017 1:41 PM

Sencha hadn't expected to find anyone all the way out here at this hour--especially not a human. The initial freeze-frame reaction of staring in the direction of the person's weak aura was enough for Sencha's brain to flick into survival mode, pushing his weakened body up off the dirt that surrounded the shrine. He could tell the human was on the other side of it--in the front. He knew Laudanum would chastise him for sleeping on holy ground, but it was better than letting any number of minor demons come after him in this state. He was pale, and thin, but most of it was hidden by his baggy clothing and large stature. He put on a smile, used what strength he had to hide his horns and small wings, and padded out from behind the shrine.

"Hello!" he chirped, voice a little rough from disuse as he spotted Clay. What strange clothes... Sencha tilted his head, trying not to let the hunger in his eyes show through. Hopefully the human wouldn't be too startled. "Are you here to visit the shrine?"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 08/07/2017 3:47 AM

Clay was surprised to see a lithe and pale figure step out from the bowels of the shrine. The man was dressed in a traditional Japanese robe that looked too big for him. Despite trying to be kindly, Clay could see that perhaps something was ailing this young man. It didn't matter to him right now, though. All that mattered to him at the moment was himself. Self-centered prick.

Speaking of irregularities, why was this young man the only one at this shrine? Usually there'd be a family, or a few members of a clergy. But no. It seemed to be this lone figure. Peculiar indeed. His voice was light. It seemed that he was used to speaking quietly, as his louder voice seemed forced and unnatural.

Clay touched the the gash under his torn shirt. On the two fingers he used was wet blood. Still injured. Getting weaker by the minute, actually. Clay had almost forgotten about the fading colors and weakening muscles. The young man spoke Japanese, it seemed. The engineer's original assumption was correct. But this meant that he would have to speak Japanese to communicate. The Martian's skill in the language was terrible compared to some of the others he could speak, but he could communicate. When he spoke, his voice was weak. His speech was unrefined, stumbling on words every so often.

"I'm going to die if the bleeding isn't stopped. Can you help me?"
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 08/28/2017 9:46 AM

Sencha blinked at the broken Japanese that came from the man. Was he some sort of tourist? His eyes traveled downward toward the blood, and his body went rigid with surprise. "You're hurt!" he exclaimed, as if it hadn't been obvious to him before--perhaps he ignored troubling things whenever possible. "Oh, gosh, um..."

Sencha had stolen the traditional priest's garb in his attempt to stay warmer; when his energy was low, his body temperature tended to drop to drastic levels. But surely... he could spare the sash. He hesitated, wondering if it was alright to stain a priest's clothes with blood. Probably not.

Whatever. If he could just get close enough... but then the man might die, if he tried to siphon any energy from him! Shoot! Without dwelling on his options any longer, he tugged the sash off from around his neck and shoulders and moved closer to Clay, holding it up. "Here. T-take this," he mumbled, holding the sash out as if it would bite him--or as if Clay would bite him. One touch could prove dangerous to Clay, if he was truly weak.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 09/02/2017 11:28 PM

Clay quickly snatched the sash out of the demon's hands. He was eager to finally stop the bleeding and clean himself up. The engineer threw off his jacket and bloodied navy shirt to easily wrap the fabric around his body. The man's skin was littered with little scrapes and markings. Some had to be scars. One thing that was peculiar was the line of numbers lining the left side of his abdomen, seemingly accompanied by a bar code of some sort. The engineer took the sash and tore it into a single, long bandage. He then wrapped the fabric from his hit up to his collarbone and tied it. The white material would soon turn reddish as time went on, but it seemed to help soak up the blood.

"Thanks for that."

Things seemed to have landed themselves in a position where he could recollect and tie up any loose ends. The landing had obviously been pretty violent. Had he lost anything of value? His watch was alright, but he had to check if any of his little gadgets were damaged or lost.

He only kept a few things on his belt. The blaster was still fastened in. Check. On his left side was an emergency fusion core that fit into the palm of his hand. The paint was chipped, but the actual container seemed to be undamaged. Check. Now for the things hidden in his jacket. Clay hobbled over to where he foolishly threw his leather jacket. Electric smokescreens. Check. Where the tasers should be were four pieces of a broken plastic device. Those were toast. Wallet? Seemed to forget it at home. Clay stood up and ran a hand through his hair, exhaling. Everything damaged could be fixed. He would only have to wait until his time traveling device was finished recuperating. Speaking of recuperating, he was parched. If he wasn't dying of the blood loss it was from the lack of water.

"Do you have a well I can drink out of? I know this seems like highway robbery but I swear I'll repay you somehow."
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/08/2017 1:33 PM

Sencha took his hands back briskly, nervous at Clay's jerky movements. He wrung his hands together now that he wasn't holding the sash any longer, and watched as the human wrapped up his wound with it. Sencha did catch sight of the odd barcode and numbers, as well as the scars, his brows raising slightly. Realizing he was staring, he quickly glanced away, looking up at the shrine with a guilty flicker in his eyes. The priests who normally would be there would be mad to know their robes were stained with blood, now... but maybe they'd be happy someone in need used it. Sencha wasn't sure. "Y-you're welcome."

He felt his legs grow a little weak, just standing, wishing he could steal away so that he could drop his human facade. It was taking up energy, energy that he didn't have--and if he wanted more, he'd have to touch the man. And he would notice. He would absolutely notice...

"Wha?" he mumbled, looking back at Clay with a blink. "A well... yes, I think there's a well nearby," he said with a nod, waving for Clay to follow without thinking. "Behind the shrine..." He seemed exhausted, suddenly, the cheer in his voice starting to go in favor of slurring and drowsiness.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 10/14/2017 1:29 AM

Clay noticed the (unbeknownst to him) demon staring at his peculiar scars. The engineer grit his teeth at the label scarred into his flesh. Plenty of the small scars were from various escapades, but the one on his abdomen was a permanent reminder of his worst memories. Maybe this new wound would be more noticeable as scar tissue. Draw attention away from the numerals. Clay furrowed his brow and turned away.

"Before you ask, I'm going to have to shut you down."

The engineer was happy to hear that this shrine had a well. He was parched. His throat was dryer than the damn Atacama desert. Clay took a few steps to the back of the shrine, but paused and turned around. The shrine hand (a kannushi, if he remembered correctly) looked weak. Weaker than he was just a minute ago, for sure. The man looked as if he was going to collapse. With a developing look of wariness,  Clay stepped forward and tried to touch the man's shoulder. He looked like he was about to fall.
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/12/2017 3:42 PM

Sencha had been curious, yes, but Clay's words effectively killed any words that were threatening to come out. Even so, he followed the newcomer at a respectful, but tailing distance. Sencha didn't want to lose his one potential food source in days. Then Clay stopped, and Sencha nearly ran into him, but stopped just in time.

"Ah," he stuttered a noise, his eyes widening slightly as Clay reached for his shoulder. For a moment, he looked frightened, suddenly faced with the decision to take what he needed or to move away. In the end, hunger won out. Sencha's hand came up to grasp Clay's wrist, firmly, but not enough to hurt. Not a second later Sencha's golden eyes flickered brighter, his posture seeming to straighten as Clay would inevitably feel a horrible, creeping draining feeling, as if the life were truly being sucked out of him. Sencha wouldn't take more than he needed--but gods, it was food for the starving. "Sorry," he managed to croak out, his pupils flickering into slits as his demon form threatened to show as his body was reanimated with life.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShoppingCartEngineer » 12/07/2017 2:39 AM

What in the hell? The priest looked like he was about to collapse. Clay was only making sure he was okay, but the interaction turned into something entirely different. The lithe man grabbed at his wrist, only for a shock to course through his body. After the initial shock, however, his energy seemingly was flowing out from his own body and into the point of contact with the priest boy. The once dormant eyes now glowed momentarily, the amber irises brightening up. Almost immediately, it seemed to the lithe figure was looking more energetic. The lethargic slouch that he once donned was gone, and was replaced with a higher stature. He was most definitely taller than the engineer. Clay stumbled back, and had to regain his footing. He'd almost fallen on his back.

He rubbed at the back of his head. Did he have a concussion? Did he hit his head on the way down? Probably something like that. The priest was apologizing, almost as if he'd done something.

"Nah, don't apologize. I probably hit my head somewhere along the line. Isn't reassuring, but it's not your fault."

Although, one detail that did seem to stick was the boy's eyes. They were shaped a little differently. And they most definitely retained their new amber brilliance. Clay squinted for a moment, staring intently at his face. The man had little restraint when making people feel awkward.
ShoppingCartEngineer
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/28/2017 8:33 PM

Sencha hurriedly let go as soon as Clay began to stumble backwards, his hands still hovering to help the man stand just in case he started to truly fall. Just as Clay had observed, he truly did look revitalized, standing ramrod straight with a kind of guilty fear in his bright eyes. "H-hit your... head?" Sencha mumbled, his hands fidgeting at his chest. He waited for a few moments of breathless silence, then sighed, his body deflating a little. Seemed that Clay wasn't going to mention the draining sensation after all... that was a relief, but somehow Sencha only felt worse because of it. It was like lying, right? To agree? "Y-yeah, that's... probably it."

He stiffened again when Clay squinted at him, his pupils threatening to thin with nervousness, but he fought for control to keep them round and humanlike. "I-is something the matter?" he squeaked, then in a flutter of panic he reached out to take Clay's hands with a huge smile--no draining sensation this time. Sencha could control it much more easily in this fed state. "I have an idea. We should get you looked at by a clinic--I-I know there are some in the city... you could take a train there, maybe! I can show you the station. It's not far..." Distracting the man seemed like the best course of action, at this rate.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate