Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self; L/S/B]

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 1:35 AM

[Hi this is really self indulgent and also a way for me to make KS haha]
[Mostly canon-compliant to the Monster series!]
[NSFW bits will not be spoiler'd, but does not appear until page 6]

i am this great unstable mass of blood and foam
and no emotion that's worth having would call my heart its home
my heart's an autoclave, my heart's an autoclave

ImageImage
[Wolfgang Grimmer] - [Kenzo Tenma]

The burning ache in Tenma's shoulder radiated down his arm and deep into his neck as his shoulderbag slid off and hit the floorboards with a thump. The inn was a modest one--and inexpensive, which helped his--their?--situation a great deal, with only one bed, a desk and chair, and a nice view of the town out a window with frost around the edges. Tenma rubbed at his arms and watched Grimmer's tall form bend down to give the bedsheets a solid smack with his hands. "Just a little bit dusty, but the bed's nice and firm. That'll be good for your back," he mused.

Tenma's mouth twitched into something like a frown. It was his turn to take the bed--most hotels that they could afford on the road only offered single beds--queen sized, at the very least. Last time, he'd slept on the floor, after a particularly intense bout of bickering with Grimmer (if one could call it that) about how he slept on the floor all the time as a child and how flat surfaces did wonders for the back. Without a mat, that was quite the lie.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 1:39 AM

"I really don't mind sleeping in that chair," Tenma was saying before he could stop himself, his eyes on the hunch in Grimmer's spine, from carrying that duffle bag all over creation. It was terrible for his back, Tenma could tell, even if Grimmer seemed rather capable in carrying it. He had half a mind to invest in some sort of hiking backpack for the man to carry instead...

Not that they'd be traveling together for much longer, Tenma was sure. As soon as trouble reared its head again, they'd split up. Tenma had decided it on his own--he wouldn't get Grimmer any more involved in this than he had to.

"It's your turn to take the bed," Grimmer said simply, gesturing to the queen with pillows that looked all too inviting. His smile was a neutral one, automatic.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 1:43 AM

Tenma allowed himself a nervous sort of laugh, then let it trail off, stepping over to the bed to touch the sheets and lean on his hand. God, he was exhausted. Grimmer's brows arched slightly as Tenma wavered, then finally sat down on the edge of the bed--Grimmer laughed slightly. "You could take a rest. I don't mind." Tenma raised his head to object, mouth opening, then locked eyes with Grimmer's kind, but knowing expression. "You... look like you need it."

Tenma closed his mouth and sagged a bit, letting out a breath of air. He did. He needed a long, long rest, but he'd gotten so used to foregoing that need that it felt strange to be able to just sit, or just lay, or just breathe for awhile. "Yeah," Tenma simply murmured, and Grimmer's face split into a better, more lopsided smile.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 1:49 AM

Tenma wasn't sure at what point he'd fallen asleep--he'd lied back, pushed his shoes off, and awoke to a chilly sunset streaming through the window, pale, onto the dusty floor. Bleary-eyed, the doctor squinted around the room to find Grimmer slouched back in the chair, chin to his chest and notebook in his lap. A thumb was tucked between two pages, keeping his place even in slumber. Tenma felt his heart still, letting the frown lines between his brows soften.

What time was it? Tenma sat up, his hair (too long) tickling his own neck as it settled in a half-formed bedhead. A clock on the wall read half past four. Right through lunch... Tenma felt a pang of regret, even if they'd skipped plenty of meals before. Stopping in a town usually meant trying to catch up, and for Grimmer's sake, he wanted to make an effort to get food while they could.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 1:59 AM

Quietly, taking advantage of the other man's sleeping, Tenma slipped into the small bathroom to shower off the the last couple of days' stresses and grime.

Grimmer snorted awake, blinking wide-eyed out the window and quickly squinting against the orange light. The creaking of the pipes as Tenma showered had tugged him out of sleep, and one quick glance at the rumpled sheets told him that, at least, Tenma had slept for some amount of time. He wondered how long...

Quickly putting away his journal and pen, sliding both back into an inner pouch in the duffle bag he carried, Grimmer took a moment to lie back on the bed and stretch his back out. He winced as it popped, then smiled to the ceiling, deciding it wouldn't be so bad to sleep in that chair. It was comfortable! He'd proven to himself that he could, at least.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:14 AM

Tenma stood under the spray of water, head angled back, letting rivulets of water run down his face. It was rare he let himself take long showers, or take long doing much of anything. Always back to work--back to his purpose. Quickly. People were hurting while he dallied.

Not anymore, he supposed. Tenma opened his eyes and looked down at his hands, flexing his fingers experimentally. Weeks of days out in the cold had made his joints stiff, and half of him wondered if he'd be able to hold a scalpel at all by the time any of this was over.

If it would be over. Of course it would be. He'd end it himself.

"Dr. Tenma?" Grimmer's voice came as a warning before he knocked at the bathroom door, pitched up slightly so that it was audible over the spray of water. "Someone came to the door. The innkeeper--"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:17 AM

Tenma was out of the shower and into a towel within moments, his long black hair plastered to his shoulders as he opened the door just a crack to stick his face out. Grimmer blinked, staring at him for a few heartbeats. "What did she say? Mr. Grimmer?" he asked, breaking the momentary beat of silence.

"O-oh! She said... right, she said that they won't be serving dinner at the inn tonight, because there's a Christmas celebration happening in the town square with lots of free food," Grimmer said, making an effort to talk fast, something he so rarely did. "You... didn't have to get out of the shower, if you weren't done. But... we should go check it out, you know?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:23 AM

Tenma blinked owlishly at Grimmer for a moment, then smiled. "Yeah, I suppose we could," he offered, then under some consideration, shuffled back a step. "I should probably finish washing my hair. It takes longer than I'm used to, these days." The smile that spread over Grimmer's face was gratifying, at least, at his soft attempt at humor. "I'll be out soon."

"Soon's not needed," Grimmer answered, as the door closed. He stared at the woodgrain of the closed door for a few quiet moments, waiting for his heartbeat to slow down. It had been doing that every so often, as of late. He placed a large hand to it, fingers splayed out over his own chest, then moved back to the bed to lie down again.

It smelled like Tenma. Such a curious observation! Grimmer would laugh at himself, which felt like an appropriate response, if his chest didn't ache just so.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:29 AM

"Alright--now, you're certain she said it was free?" Tenma called out to Grimmer from his place in front of the bathroom mirror. He'd retreated back inside to attempt to wring out his hair a bit more, blotting it with the towel he'd used before it could get the back of his shirt too wet.

"Super certain." Grimmer had retreated from the bed, suddenly not too sure about how it made him feel to lie there. Tenma walked into the main room, looking smaller somehow, with his hair plastered down and no large hoodie to swamp his thinning frame. The corners of Grimmer's mouth turned down. He needed to eat more...

Tenma, however, was smiling quite widely. "That's so kind of them. You don't think they'll mind that we're outsiders?"

"Well, she was going door to door in the inn, so I'd imagine not..."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:36 AM

"Right, right, of course," Tenma breathed out, flicking his hair back over his shoulder and pulling his hoodie on. Grimmer eyed Tenma's wet hair with a thought of concern. It was so cold outside... "We should make our way out there before it gets too dark."

Grimmer stood and looked to his duffle bag, then to the key they'd been given. The likelihood of a break-in was so small, in a tiny town such as this, and the only person who would want to break in or benefit from what was in his bag likely hadn't tailed them this far out into the boonies. Tenma was on his way to pick up his bag, but Grimmer reached out and placed a hand on the strap. "Let's leave them here," he said, fingers curling over the edge of the strap as Tenma's startled expression settled into worry. "We'll lock up, and it'll be safe. I'll even let you hold the key," Grimmer added, taking his hand away and pulling out the key to spin it on his finger.

Naturally, it flung off and hit the floor with a clatter, Grimmer's expression flatlining. Tenma's eyes lit up with an unexpected burst of laughter, a hand coming to cover his mouth, hold it in. Grimmer's eyes softened, his heart aching with oh, don't cover it up, let it out why don't you and he'd been so lost in thought that it was Tenma who bent down to retrieve them. "Alright. We'll leave them. It'll do us good, I think," Tenma offered, slipping the key into his pocket.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:47 AM

"Yeah... yeah," Grimmer mumbled, once he'd recovered from that laughter. It was so rare, but it suited the man's face like the sun in the sky, or something less poetic and a bit more suited to someone who looked like a half-starved drowned rat with the kindest eyes Grimmer had ever seen.

He coughed, clearing his throat and attempting to shake off the palpitations in his chest. Tenma glanced at him for a moment, then smiled and nodded for Grimmer to follow. "I'm sorry we slept through lunch," he offered, as they climbed the stairs down to the ground floor.

Grimmer hummed his apology away, his longer legs reaching the door first. "Now we can stuff ourselves on free food. I'd say that works out pretty well, wouldn't you say?" he chuckled, opening the door and gritting his teeth against the blast of freezing wind that rushed into the warm inn. "G-geez!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 2:49 AM

Tenma looked to be making a clear and honest effort to not react to the cold, but his eyes were wide and shoulders stiff as anything as the air sliced through to his damp scalp like there was no resistance at all. He shivered visibly as they stepped out into the street, and Grimmer fought down some fleeting urge to somehow shield Tenma's head from the wind.

"Chilly," was all Grimmer managed to say, his hands going into his pockets so that they'd stay put. Tenma murmured in agreement, and with that, the two were off to the town's central square.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 3:15 AM

Tenma was honestly surprised by the crowd--but it made sense, he supposed. Even the smallest of towns could house a large number of people, families and travelers and children and old alike. All sorts were in the square, bustling about a modest, but prettily-crafted fountain in the center of the place, surrounded by streetlamps adorned with strings of tiny lights. Tenma's eyes shone at them, surprised--he always considered them a luxury, for the big cities. "I imagine those will look beautiful as it gets darker," he commented softly, nodding up to the strings of lights.

"Absolutely," Grimmer mused, tearing his eyes away from the lights and fountain to peer over the crowd. Being tall had its perks, and Tenma stuck close so as to not get separated needlessly.

"See any places to eat?" Tenma asked, wincing with a smile as a child knocked him in the side while running past with glee towards what looked like someone dressed up as Santa, sitting on a rocking chair near a makeshift hearth.

"Still looking... aha!"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 3:29 AM

Grimmer grabbed Tenma's sleeve without thinking and tugged him gently. "The, uh--crowd, it's--"

"Yeah," Tenma said, understanding, reaching up to place a hand on Grimmer's shoulder. Grimmer relaxed at the contact and shifted his grip to touch Tenma's shoulder in kind, the two slowly side-stepping their way through the crowd, Tenma following Grimmer's lead. "What is it? The place you found."

"There's a little collection of cafes and restaurants here. We can take our pick," Grimmer explained with a smile over his shoulder. They came out on the other side of the crowd, the sidewalk a little bit safer to let go of each other at last. Tenma felt heat at the base of his neck, where Grimmer's knuckles had brushed, and he tried very desperately to put it out of his mind as he perused the signs of the restaurants. "Ah--this cafe doesn't look too crowded," Tenma mused, which Grimmer interpreted to mean that they should check it out. Crowds weren't the best in his opinion, either.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/11/2017 5:07 AM

A little jingling bell greeted them as Grimmer pushed open the door and Tenma ducked inside with a quiet word of thanks to the other man. It certainly wasn't a flashy place, but soups and salads and pastries lined the menu with inviting chalk drawings. "What are you in the mood for, Mr. Grimmer?" Tenma asked, running fingers through his own hair in attempts to get what he was sure must be frost out of it (not so, but it was freezing out there).

"It's a wonderful day for a hot mug of soup and some cheese and bread, don't you think?" Grimmer mused, rubbing his chin as he squinted up at the menu. "Oh, they have desserts, too..."

Temna glanced up at Grimmer, then at the dessert menu. It was a luxury... but... if he wasn't mistaken, it was close to Christmas by then. They deserved it. Was all of this really free, today? "Pick one out that you like. We could... share it? O-or I could get my own, actually, I'll do that--"

"No, no, it's... more fun to share, anyway," Grimmer quieted Tenma's fretting with a well-meaning touch to the shoulder. It was easier, after holding onto it in the crowd. More casual. It felt right, and by the looks of happiness on Tenma's face, it was the right thing to do.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Next