Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Re: If It's the Last Thing That I Do [Self]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:38 AM

Tenma offered a shaky, nauseated smile. "I think I've come down with something," he said, speaking a little better now that his throat was less hot and dry. "Perhaps... f-from the past few days of stress, and the cold today... I'm sure I'll be fine soon, after a little rest."

"B-but," Grimmer started to say, more shaken-looking than perhaps was normal. Tenma was a bit too out of it to fully notice. "Medicine...?"

"I'll probably have to... send you to get some, if it gets worse," Tenma suggested, shifting to lie a bit better on the pillows and attempt to shimmy the covers out from under him while he still had the strength to do so. "Please try not to worry."

Grimmer tensed, his voice raising a bit more than he meant to. "T-tell me now," he barked, keeping his distance, his coat still on--and it occurred to him that Tenma's was, as well. Perhaps that was alright. "What--what if you can't tell me, when it matters most, later?"

Tenma was quiet, focusing on Grimmer's face through squinted eyes, his brain working slowly. In his haze, he couldn't seem to understand what was eating Grimmer so much, so he attempted to articulate instead. "I can't know until the symptoms solidify, so to speak... if things go south, you can get directions to the pharmacist. Describe my symptoms, and they'll give you what you need. Use my money. Do you think you can do that, Mr. Grimmer?"

Grimmer was silent, watching Tenma sink into the pillows, hands falling halfway up his body with the covers, as if just speaking had taken a lot out of him. Grimmer shifted, a fit of purpose grabbing him and pushing him towards Tenma's bedside, to finish pulling the covers up. "I can," he finally said, finding his voice, and nodding with conviction. "I will."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 1:52 PM

Eventually, Tenma seemed to doze off slightly, and Grimmer had trouble figuring out what to do with himself. He turned on a lamp, casting the previously dark room in a thin, warm glow, and pulled the chair he'd napped in earlier over to Tenma's bedside. It was a start, he thought, sitting down in the chair and picking up his notebook where he'd left it on the cushion. At the very least... he could get a bit of writing done. He'd stopped mid-sentence upon falling asleep that afternoon.

Eventually his mind shifted into easier habits, a good distraction from his worry. But he found himself suddenly segueing from his last report about the Petrov incident into writing about his own son. How he wondered if his son would have liked soccer, like those boys had so much. How he wondered why now, he felt such concern, such need to hover and care for the sick doctor in front of him, when he hadn't been able to muster the instinct to do the same for his newborn son in his wife's absence...

The pen trailed off, and Tenma coughed, congested, drawing Grimmer's attention to him. "Mr. Gr--" another cough from Tenma interrupted his speech, "G-Grimmer, it's... hot... could you--could you get a wet rag?" Tenma's voice was raspy, and Grimmer had to lean in to hear it properly, but once he understood he murmured something in response and moved into the bathroom to retrieve a washcloth.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 2:11 PM

Grimmer worked it out, mentally, that the rag was supposed to go on Tenma's forehead, and after folding it to a better size he gingerly brushed Tenma's dark hair away from his forehead and laid it over the burning skin. His fingers trailed there a moment longer, smoothing the doctor's hair back. "B-better?" Grimmer whispered, his expression full of hollow anxiety, the need to know he was doing this correctly.

Tenma nodded weakly, mouth tugging into a smile, his hand raising up to lightly grip Grimmer's arm and squeeze it. Grimmer's quick breathing stilled slightly, his expression softening, covering Tenma's hand with his own. "I believe it's just a cold," Tenma murmured, licking dry lips in thought. "A particularly nasty one, but a cold all the same. I'll come out alright."

"Okay," Grimmer murmured automatically, slowly sitting down in the chair, but keeping their hands locked. As a result, he had to lean over quite a bit.

Tenma opened his eyes another time and peered over at Grimmer, offering a loose smile. "Take off your coat, Mr. Grimmer," he managed a chuckle. "I'd love if you stayed awhile."

Grimmer blinked, bemused, then seemed to get it. Tenma's idea of a gentle joke. He smiled in spite of himself, releasing Tenma's hand and shimmying out of his coat, letting it pool behind him in the armchair. "I guess you can keep yours on," Grimmer offered, a touch of humor in his own voice, but Tenma looked too out of it to have heard him properly.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 2:43 PM

Grimmer laced his hands together, not sure what to do with them now, and angled his head to stare out the window. The twinkling lights were still moving, the crowd still shifting little by little in the dark. There was something peaceful about it. Grimmer made a mental note, however, to suggest Tenma dry his hair before they go out any more. Or cut it. Grimmer glanced back over at the doctor, at his long hair splayed out around his face on the pillow. No... no, it was far too nice this way.

Grimmer's chest twinged with emotion again, and he hurriedly went back to writing.

He didn't stop until some enormous clock tower outside chimed midnight. He closed the notebook and blinked up at Tenma, who seemed sound asleep. Seemed, until his lips began to move, mouthing Grimmer's name until it finally came out audibly. "Yeah?" Grimmer whispered, leaning in to listen closely. "What is it, doctor?"

"You should... get some sleep," Tenma murmured weakly, and Grimmer's expression tightened. No, he didn't want to sleep as long as Tenma might need him for something. "Not... in that chair," he continued, eyes barely opening to look over at the other man. "Bad for your... back."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:11 PM

Grimmer's brain wasn't quite firing on all cylinders; he didn't quite understand what Tenma was asking, but the idea of making him explain seemed like a bad one. Even so. "Then... where...?" Grimmer mumbled, resigning himself to just stay in the chair anyway. The floor was an even worse idea.

Tenma was quiet for a long time, eyes slipping closed, and for a moment Grimmer thought he'd fallen asleep once again. He reached out to shift the cloth on Tenma's forehead, then froze with a start as the man continued speaking. "The bed's big enough," he mumbled, fatigue slurring his words. But he found it in himself to shift a little closer to the wall, making more room.

"Oh, no, no no, you don't have to... do that," Grimmer finished, once Tenma had stilled again, and he felt his heart thump in his chest. He was silent for a few moments longer, then looked up at Tenma with an unreadable expression. "Do you want me to?"

Tenma nodded softly. "Yes," he whispered, and with that, Grimmer's last bit of hesitation was his alone to surmount.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/02/2018 3:23 PM

Worst case scenario, Tenma was delirious with illness and exhaustion, and all that would be needed upon waking was an awkward apology and a promise that they'd find a room with two beds next time, or a couch. "Alright," Grimmer heard himself say, stepping out of his shoes. He realized Tenma still had his on, and after a word of warning for what he was about to do, he pulled the covers away from Tenma carefully and started removing the other man's shoes.

There was something strangely intimate about it. Grimmer tried not to think too hard on the subject.

He set the doctor's shoes beside his own on the floor at the end of the bed, and carefully climbed into the space beside Tenma. A queen sized bed meant closer quarters than Grimmer had been expecting, but not too bad. Or, good, depending on how that small, secret part of his brain saw it. "Just... wake me up if you need anything, yeah?" Grimmer murmured, carefully pulling the covers over himself, effectively trapping both of their body heats in. Grimmer winced at how hot Tenma felt, even a foot away, under the blankets. Tenma murmured something unintelligible in response. Grimmer shifted carefully, feeling too big for the space provided him, apologized hurriedly when his knee bumped the other man's leg. Kept his long arms folded up tight like a sarcophagus, clutching himself quietly in the dim room as he gazed at Tenma's sharp, but haggard profile.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:09 AM

Eventually, Grimmer found it in himself to relax, if only marginally. He untangled his limbs, shifting just barely, the softness of the bed threatening to pull him under. He'd made up his mind to try to stay awake to watch over the other man, but keeping his eyelids open was proving to be a difficult task.

In the end, he fell asleep, until Tenma's rasping voice and loose grip on his shirt sleeve woke him.

"Wat... water," he heard Tenma say, and his eyes snapped open, bleary but wide with surprise. The doctor looked to be drenched in sweat, and as soon as he realized Grimmer was awake, he released his grip on the man's shirt. Grimmer pushed himself up and swung his legs around, stumbling in a half-asleep daze to the bathroom to refill the glass from earlier. He splashed some against his face while he was at it to wake himself up proper, and came back in quite a bit more refreshed than before with water in hand.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:10 AM

Tenma was struggling to sit up and push the covers off of himself at the same time, to little avail. Grimmer set the glass on the bedside table for a moment to help the other man, moving on autopilot, on an instinct he didn't know he possessed. Covers pushed off, one hand steady on Tenma's upper back, the other hand holding the glass. This time, he wouldn't let Tenma spill so much. "Drink," Grimmer murmured the order softly, holding the glass to Tenma's lips. The doctor's hands shakily came up to hold the glass, Grimmer keeping a hand on it just in case as he watched Tenma's throat work around the water he was beginning to take in gulps. Grimmer murmured a soft word of praise, his hand smoothing over Tenma's back without thinking. He quickly lowered the glass as Tenma made a noise of distress.

"The fever is--b-breaking, probably," Tenma huffed, running his fingers through his hair to sweep it away from his flushed face. "Feels like a furnace in here."

"Oh--should... should I open a window?" Grimmer asked, tensing to move in that direction, but Tenma shook his head and held up a hand.

"No, I have to stay warm. This is normal, Mr. Grimmer, I assure you." Grimmer had to find a smile, at that--at least the doctor was beginning to speak normally once more.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:30 PM

Grimmer looked a little lost, even so, the smile on his face turning empty in nature. "Do you need... medicine? Should I go get something?" he asked quietly, as Tenma continued to sip the water in smaller amounts. His hand never left the doctor's back. He wouldn't move it, until Tenma asked it of him.

"I think... I'll be just fine without," Tenma murmured, wanting to save their money for food and transportation. "If we can afford it... staying one more day in this town might be a good idea, to ensure the fever is gone." Tenma finished the glass of water and leaned over to set it on the nightstand. He was exhausted, yes, but he could feel a little strength seeping back into his limbs, as the adrenaline of waking up in a sweat faded. As he shifted he felt Grimmer's hand on his back, almost cradling his spine, and he looked up at Grimmer's face briefly, his face feeling a bit warmer than the rest of him. "I--probably don't smell very pleasant. I should take another shower."

"Only if you think you can," Grimmer offered, then smiled and shook his head. "You smell fine," he chuckled, and Tenma had to grin at that, shrugging his shoulders.

"I guess I have to believe you. My nose is clogged."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:48 PM

The rest of the day felt lighter, after that. Tenma continued to nap off and on, while Grimmer busied himself with going out to grab some groceries for the road, and a shower of his own afterwards. He left the bathroom door cracked, enough to hear Tenma if he called out, and Tenma awoke sleepily to the smell of steam and the sound of running water. He rose up slowly on an elbow--by the looks out the sky outside their window, it was early in the evening. His stomach ached with emptiness, but he didn't feel quite so feverish anymore.

Definitely needed a shower, though. Tenma glanced at the empty space in the bed beside him, rumpled from where Grimmer had been. Glancing over at the floor, he spotted the groceries they'd take with them on the train tomorrow morning. He quietly, discreetly shifted closer to that spot on the bed where Grimmer had lied, nuzzling his head back into the pillow and closing his eyes.

Grimmer stepped out of the shower a little while later, rubbing his hair with a dry hand towel, a larger towel wrapped around his bony waist. He winced, realizing he'd forgotten to take clothes into the bathroom with him, and he quietly stepped out to grab his duffle bag. Tenma, it seemed, hadn't gone back to sleep, and instead pushed himself up with a sense of purpose to take a shower himself. "All done in the bathroom, Mr. Grim--er..." Tenma's eyes were a little wide at Grimmer's half-naked appearance, the other man freezing like a deer in the headlights with one hand inside his bag.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:50 PM

"Just--forgot my clothes," he hurriedly said, other hand quickly going to hold his towel up, instinctively. Tenma nodded, not meaning to stare at the other man's thin frame (but softer than Tenma's own, he was sure--one of them indulged in wine and cheese more than the other, it seemed, and Tenma was glad that Grimmer didn't look so hungry as himself), directing his eyes to the window instead. "Won't be long..."

"No rush at all," Tenma murmured, his face visibly pink as his mind wrapped around the image he'd just seen, over and over, touching it all over until he had to force himself to put it away. "We should get some food, somewhere..."

"I think they're serving dinner tonight in the inn. Yesterday was just a special occasion," Grimmer said, filling the awkward silence with words as he carted his clothes back to the bathroom, leaving an inch between the door and the frame so that he could keep talking. "Want to check it out? It can't be that bad."

"Anything sounds wonderful at this point," Tenma laughed lightly, relaxing, a hand moving to touch the back of his neck in thought. His head felt clearer than when he'd been sick. So that wasn't the problem. He had asked Grimmer to sleep with him, hadn't he... embarrassment washed over him, suddenly, and all at once he felt feverish again--but it was a different sort of feverish.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 4:55 PM

"Okie-doke, bathroom's all yours," Grimmer reported, buttoning the last, topmost button of his shirt as he walked out into the main room. Tenma looked up, smiling at Grimmer's attempt at combed hair (the man's blonde scruff of a rug couldn't be tamed on the best of days, especially after a shower), a twinkle of bemusement in his eyes at the rather nice-looking lavender button-up dress shirt and slacks.

"What's the occasion?" he asked, picking up a change of clothes from his bag as well. He felt worlds more at-ease with Grimmer fully clothed and his stomach not so tight with... something. He was just hungry, probably. Yeah.

"Well... dinner," Grimmer offered sheepishly, a lopsided smile painting his face as Tenma looked up in surprise. "I figure it's... is it okay if I dress up a little?"

Tenma felt himself grow warm under the collar, even after he'd taken off his coat ages ago. "O-of course," he stammered, looking through his bag a little bit better. All he had was that suit... was it too much...?

"You don't have to," Grimmer said quickly, holding up his hands with a laugh. "Don't worry about that."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:00 PM

Tenma made a face that looked pensive for a few moments, then finally pulled out the suit and slacks, as well as two ties. He tossed one onto the bed, side-eyeing Grimmer with as coy a smile as his instincts could get out before he corrected it to something more neutrally friendly. "I have an extra tie, if you want it," he said, as if one-upping Grimmer good-naturedly with his own repertoire of not-a-hobo clothing. Truth be told, the rest of Tenma's clothing was beyond hobo rattiness level.

Grimmer made a noise of hesitation, but Tenma was already closing the door to the bathroom. Minutes later, the water started. Grimmer eyed the tie like something foreign, or a particularly fat and unmoving snake. Slowly he picked it up, thumbing over the smooth silk, his eyes lidding as something stirred in the pit of his gut.

He hurriedly wrapped it around his neck and begun the arduous task of tying a tie. Gosh, it had been years...

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:11 PM

Tenma was in and out rather quickly, taking the time this time to properly towel dry his hair. It looked a mess, but after a little combing through his fingers, it cooperated well enough. He came out in the shirt and slacks, tie tied around his neck and suit jacket folded over his arm. He blinked, glancing at the tie abandoned on the bed and Grimmer leaned back in the chair. The tie looked a bit manhandled.

"Foregoing the tie?" he asked, friendly, not wanting to be derisive or pressuring as he slipped the suit jacket on. Grimmer glanced over at him, his dull expression flickering to life at the sight of the doctor in such sharp clothing. It was an old suit--classically styled, Grimmer could tell--but it suited Tenma well, like it had been tailored for him. And it probably had been, at one point of time in the doctor's past.

"No, I... I sort of forgot how to tie it," Grimmer admitted, truthful, and then, "You look really good. N-nice," he hurriedly added, clearing his throat. Tenma looked a little startled by the admission, and the compliment both, his heart fluttering in his chest like some teenager on a first date. How silly... the butterflies, not Grimmer.

"Here," Tenma offered, picking up the tie and beckoning Grimmer closer. "I can help. If you want it, that is. You look just fine without it."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/03/2018 5:26 PM

Grimmer stood up, legs almost moving of their own will, and stepped closer to Tenma with a wariness of the tie in his eyes. Tenma hesitated for a moment, then gently slipped the tie under Grimmer's collar, still half popped up from the previous attempt. "Alright, just under like this... and..." Tenma talked quietly to himself to fill the silence between them, his wrists brushing against Grimmer's sternum as he finished the tie, then looked up with a smile. "There we... are."

He'd trailed off, his dark eyes catching on Grimmer's pale ones, his smile falling slightly to a slackened look as his fingers trailed down the tie. It was so quiet, he could hear Grimmer's breath hitch as he did so. Tenma hurriedly cleared his throat and glanced away, licking his lips that refused to stay wet. Aftereffects of the fever. "I-it looks nice on you--care to look in the mirror?" he offered, stepping aside and  gesturing to the bathroom.

"Oh! Yes, that's a good idea," Grimmer exclaimed, not sure what to do with himself now that Tenma's hands were no longer connected to him. He willed his legs to move as he went towards the bathroom, thankful for Tenma's brief moment of separation for the doctor to go get his shoes on. Grimmer peered at himself in the mirror--yes, he looked... a little bit more professional, a little bit fancier now. The tie was a dark plum with thin, salmon-colored, diagonal stripes. His neck sported a few blotches of red, creeping from behind his shirt collar. Heat. Too hot... and yet, it was a pleasant feeling.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext